Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oh to be 15

So today is my little sister's birthday. I was thinking about when I was turning 15 and how old I felt. I remember thinking how I was old enough to kiss girls (although not lucky enough), perfectly capable of driving my parents' car (although I was not yet 16), old enough to make most of my own decisions. Now as my little sister has hit 15, I have realized that 15 is certainly not old enough to do any of those things. It is interesting that just a few years can give you such a new perspective. Every year that I get older I look back and see hazards avoided, hazards I could have avoided, and I have a lot of funny stories to tell. The more that I learn in life, the more I realize I know a whole lot of nothing. The moment I start to think I got it all figured out something new falls in my lap and I have no clue how to handle it. I figure that eventually I will have experienced all that I can and I will KNOW that I have it all figured out.. then something else will come I am sure. If you feel like your life is perfect right in this moment, hold on tight because it is about to take another turn. That is the beauty of life. You never know what comes next. My dad always used to tell me, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are going to do tomorrow." This life is about the journey, not the destination. Enjoy it. Can you remember the youthful bliss of 15? Good! It doesn't have to end there. Life is bliss. Challenges and struggles are what make this life worth it all. If you were not a strong person that challenge would not be yours. It would have been given to someone deemed worthy. You are worthy of the challenge. Thank the Lord for those challenges. If you are ever feeling down remember the words of the Savior, "...In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world"(John 16:33). Lean on Him, after all, He wrote the book.

1 comment: