Saturday, March 27, 2010

Understanding the Atonement

I once heard from a very wise stake president that we will never fully understand the Atonement. I was very confused by his statement because I thought that I had a pretty good testimony of the Atonement and I felt that in a few short years I would have it figured out. Well, here I am a few short years later and I have just learned something new about the Atonement. I have learned that the Atonement is for me. Now, that may seem to be a very plain truth. In reality, however, it is very complex for me. I have realized how personal the Atonement really is. It is not just Christ suffered for mankind and we need to use that Atonement to get back to Heaven. Christ suffered for ME. Individually. Just me alone. Not for everyone else. Just me. Then he went along and suffered for another person. Individually. Just them alone. Not for anyone else. Then the next person and so on. I was actually on the Savior's mind and he saw me in all actuality and suffered for just me. This concept has brought a whole new meaning to the Atonement. I am so insignificant, but there is nothing more important to the Lord than my soul. That may sound like a contradiction, but it makes perfect sense. I challenge you to ponder on this topic. Think about the Savior suffering for you alone and no one else. See how that changes your life. I hope it changes yours like it has mine. I look forward to learning more about the Atonement. How exciting it is to know that I will never understand it all. That means that I can learn about it for the rest of my life and never run out of things to learn! What an awesome experience. I am truly blessed. I love my Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment